Life in the 31st Century

Darwin's theory of evolution has never claimed that we were getting better at being humans. It just says that we are getting better at surviving. But we're still just a moment in the history of the world. How much longer will we survive? We now live in the 21st century. Will we make it to the 31st? And if we want to make surviving worth the effort, we must learn to love and care for each other. Herewith some suggested readings that address that need.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Three Incestuous Sisters



The Three Incestuous Sisters
by Audrey Niffenegger


A novel in pictures by the author of the bestselling novel The Time Traveler's Wife. A bizarre, fascinating, unique book. I'm not about to try to describe it.

Here's a little of what the author says: "This is the book of my heart, a fourteen-year labor of love...I wrote the text; as the images gained in complexity, the text dwindled until the weight of the story was carried by the images...These images are aquatints...an idiosyncratic antique process, which for some reason makes me love it all the more...During the years I worked on The Three Incestuous Sisters I went to graduate school...went to Europe five times; and had five solo exhibitions, four love affairs, three cats, and several hundred students...When I try to explain The Three Incestuous Sisters to someone who hasn't seen it, I tell them to imagine a silent film made from Japanese prints, a melodrama of sibling rivalry, a silent opera that features women with very long hair and a flying green boy. I never try to explain what it means; you can find that out for yourself. I'm glad that it has finally completed its long journey from my mind to yours."

Published by Harry N. Abrams, Inc., Publishers & printed & bound in China, which shows that not everything that comes out of China is Wal*Mart crap. High quality book here. Of course, the Chinese have been printing books for a lot longer than our Western ancestors have.

Audrey Niffenegger

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fabulous, yet weird book. Thanks, I never would have found it!

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same for me. How did you find this book???

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, this is scary!

Cinda

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little psychotic. My kinda book. Thanks famarama!

Corinna

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, weird as shit. But I liked it.

Richard

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anyone who reads this book will go to hell.

ASM

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home